Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday Morning

We arrived in New Orleanes last night at 5:30 central time. A limo brought us to the Hope Lodge which is run by the American Cancer Society. We are staying here for free, and everyone is incredibly welcoming and friendly. Our room has two double beds and a private bath. There is a community kitchen and dining area, a sitting room and a small library with computer access. There is also a seperate laundry area on each floor. Guests clean up after themselves and do their own laundry and the place is incredibly clean and neat.

The Saints played a game in town last night and everyone here was watching or listening. There were Saints jersies and caps everywhere - and this morning we hear that the celebration of the big win is continuing down town. We walked to Dot's Diner, just a block from here, for a breakfast of eggs and grits. In a few minutes we will catch a bus downtown to the French Quarter, and do some sight seeing. After lunch we'll make our way to the Garden district where the hospital is. I have an appointment at 2pm for a PET scan to see the blood flow in my butt - and then an consultation with Dr. Sullivan at 3:30pm. After that we'll go back downtown and I'll take Rob out to dinner for his birthday (52 today!).

As I sit here writing this, a young girl of 9 is typing on a computer next to me. She is the size of a six year old with skinny, stick like arms and legs. She has a crocheted pink cap on, and a surgical mask over her nose and mouth. I feel foolish and ashamed for being so concerned about reconstructive surgery... but logically I know it has nothing to do with what she is going through.
It just seems really unfair. There are a dozen or so people staying here at Hope Lodge, and I am one of the few lucky ones who have put this disease behind me. Susan, the woman who volunteers at the front desk had breast cancer four years ago, and reconstructive surgery at the Breast Center two years ago. She says it turned her from a catapillar into a butterfly. She assures me that I am in very good hands.

Off we go to catch the bus down town. I'll be taking plenty of pictures and hopefully will be able to post them later.

1 comment:

  1. Love you! Happy birthday Rob! I can't wait to celebrate the butterfly when she arrives home!

    ReplyDelete