Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last day in NOLA

Our last day in New Orleans has been clear and sunny and in the mid 70's, with just a little breeze to keep things cool. Jenny and I have spent a lot of time outside soaking it in before our departure to Maine tomorrow. I probably won't see these temperatures again until June some time... but that's okay, I'm ready... anxious even... to go home.The follow up appointment with Dr. Sullivan went fine. He removed the last of the wires from my chest, and I am left with just two drains coming from by hip area. I'll have those in another three weeks or so. Fortunately they are pretty easy to disguise under a loose top. He says things are healing nicely, and I told him how very pleased I am with the results. He said that we could fix a few little details at Phase 2 -when I have the nipples done... if I want. Right now it's hard to imagine wanting anything other than a couple of nipples - things are looking so good already, and it's only been a week. Besides, if things are too perfect, it won't really look natural will it?

Jenny and I had breakfast and lunch in the French Quarter today and spent a lot of time poking around in various shops and galleries. It was a lot of fun, and we saw some beautiful antiques and art. Finally at 2pm I ran out of gas, so we took the streetcar back to the hotel. Here are a few pictures I snapped during our outing today.

This trip has been amazing for two reasons. First, I feel as though I have been transformed. Yes, my surgical scars are still red and puffy, and there is plenty of bruising... but when I look in the mirror I feel as though I am healing the final wounds from breast cancer. Even though the cancer has been gone from my body for two years now, I haven't been able to really let go of it until now. Yes, my body has changed, my awareness has changed, and the core of my being has changed from the experience... but I feel as though the worst of the physical and psychological damage that was done, has now been repaired. I am incredibly grateful to my friends Brian and Anna for telling me about The Breast Center... and feel as though it is impossible to express my gratitude to Dr. Sullivan who sculpted the new me. He listened with compassion, did a perfect job, and did it humbly.... "all in a day's work". It sounds corny to say that this feels like a turning point in my life... but it really does. I cannot describe to you how it feels to lay awake in the dark and feel that I have two warm, living breasts on my chest again. Such a personal part of me that was taken away by a vicious and evil disease, has now been returned to me. For two years I really never thought this would happen... but now it has and I feel extremely happy and grateful.

The second thing that has made this trip wonderful is discovering New Orleans. It is a beautiful, diverse city that does not feel like a city. The people who live here are passionate about it, and there is the same sense of community that I feel in little old Gardiner Maine. Residents are incredibly friendly and welcoming to those of us from away... and there is an incredible bounty of wonderful food, music and art. This is a place I could, in later years, picture Rob and I having an winter-time apartment in the French Quarter. Without a doubt... I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment