Sunday, November 8, 2009

The crotchless girdle

I never knew such a thing existed until I woke up wearing one after surgery: the crotchless girdle. What a strange, uncomfortable, yet wonderfully weird invention. It goes from just above the knees, to the lower part of the ribcage. It is black, made of some type of tightly woven spandex, and is tight, tight, tight. So tight in fact, that it requires assistance to put it on. Thus the crotchless part - making it a bit more practical since I am instructed to wear it for 6 weeks. Good god. I'm allowed to take it off to shower - but it has to be on the rest of the time. It keeps everything on my backside in place while it heals. Practical... but somehow bizarre.

Anyway.... I'm feeling quite better today. Have done a lot of roaming around the halls, and have even taken a second shower and dressed in "normal" clothing. It's a little hard to look normal, however, with four drain pouches tucked under the front of my shirt. I feel a little like a gunslinger with four concealed weapons. I'm off all medication except one pain pill every 6 hours. I expect to get off of that in the next day or so. When am I allowed to start drinking wine?

I've been treated very, very well here, and the accommodations are really quite nice. More like a spa than a hospital... but I am ready to leave. I'm waiting for a partner of Dr. Sullivan's (Dr. Masey) to stop by my room this afternoon and pronounce me ready to be discharged. Jenny and I will then move to a hotel down the street, and I'm looking forward to getting my first good night's sleep in a week.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Just checked in and read this post and the previous one where you were feeling better and had been up and showered. It's just great to hear that you are feeling recovered enough to roam around the halls and wear normal clothes even if in combination with a crotchless girdle (it sounds slightly like a rare species of bird, e.g., "Wow, we heard the calls of a crotchless girdle in the woods today - do you think we can add it to the bird-count list?") The best part is that you are feeling now that the surgery was worth it! Keep on feeling better and better! You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete